you have to make films from the perspective of the weak

17.10.12

categorias:

comentar




Do you believe that movies are still an effective way to inform young people?

I'm not talking about education. What I'm after is telling the truth. Movies are entertainment, but that doesn't stop us from telling the truth through them. In Harada's film you get Beethoven on the soundtrack and Koji Yakusho as the chief of police. It's a hymn to the cops, but it was those same cops that pushed those kids to go as far as they did. If it's a profit you're after, there are other ways to make money than by making films. Me, I try to at least remain truthful when I make my films. Also, a true filmmaker doesn't make films from the point of view of those in power. To me, that's a fundamental rule: you have to make films from the perspective of the weak. Take Akira Kurosawa, for instance. His films were always about the downtrodden.

entrevista a Koji Wakamatsu (via Mignight Eye)

o realizador japonês faleceu hoje, 5 dias após ter sido atropelado por um taxi em Tokyo.

0 comments :

Enviar um comentário