as mãos e os olhos enquanto locais de reconhecimento

17.8.12

categorias:

comentar



What interests me about the eyes is that they are the part of the body that doesn't age. In other words, if one looks for one's childhood across all the signs of aging in the body, the deterioration of musculature, the whitening of the hair, changes in height and weight, one can find one's childhood in the look of the eyes. And what's striking about this is that a man of my age keeps the exact same eyes that he had as a child.
Hegel says that the eyes are the outer manifestation of the soul. Through the eyes, the inner soul presents itself to the outside. But I translate this though as follows:
That one's act of looking has no age. One's eyes are the same all of one's life. And I'll say something related to this about the subject of hands.
In a book I just published, I spoke a lot about hands. I'm very interested in the hands of philosophers. I've written a text on the hands of Heidegger, which also references the hands of Kant, Husserl... So the hands of philosophers interest me a lot, and what they say about hands, and the privilege that's given to this part of the body.
Keeping in mind that there's a history of the hand, the evolution of man, what we call the hominization of the animal, occurs via the transformation of the hand. I think that it's not the body of the hand that stays the same, the hand changes from childhood to old age. It is the eyes and hands that are the sites of recognition, the signs through which one identifies the other.
from Jacques Derrida - On Eyes and Hands

0 comments :

Enviar um comentário